Friday, May 8, 2015

Hiking and Father's Day Adventure

Looking back... as I listen to the song in the background of a tribute video I put together for my precious boy, I get a big lump in my throat. If I was a song writer, this would be the song!

Enjoy watching "The Beautiful Face of Autism - Mikey Joe

Yup, counting my blessings one by one... It's good to do the stock-take every now and then ;) we had so many great moments together that easily overshadow the bad memories.

Tomorrow we'll be doing our weekly hike in the mountains... That is always an adventure. I remember very well our first big hike around Mount Olympus. We were told that it's a very picturesque walk that makes a perfect circle around the mountain - starting and ending the trip in the same spot - HA!!! It was 2 years ago, Booboo was 6 and Jambalaya not even 3 years old. Knowing how much Mark loves adventures and hiking, I decided to surprise him with backpacks filled with healthy snack and drinks to last 3 hour hike, or so we were told!

All excited we drove up the mountain on a gorgeous, sunny day... Up there it was cooler than by the sea where we live, so it was really pleasant to walk. We parked our car in a shade, under the tree and started our hike. How wonderful. How splendid! One thing our friends were right about and that was the most spectacular views and tranquility all the way... As you can imagine, 6 and 2,5 year old troopers got tired after first 20 minutes of our walk. No biggy, we can make a short stop to refuel our bodies with some sausage and water...

 As we stood up to keep going, our little princess asked if we're "almost there" cause her legs were getting tired!!! We knew we had ahead of us at least another 2.5 hour walk but as we all do, we answered in a quite convincing manner "YES, almost there". Mikey asked to be picked up and carried in Daddy Bear's arms and I had to do the same with Vivien.

Even if they weigh less than 20 kilos, if you have to carry them in your arms for several kilometers, your arms faint pretty fast. We kept going, changing the ways we carried them - letting them sit on our shoulders, carrying them piggy back style, carrying them in the front, supporting their backside on our palms (that's a killer one right there!) and eventually making them walk despite pain.

 After about 3,5 hour walk and going through all our snacks, we stopped even noticing amazing views around us. All we wanted was to get to the car as soon as possible, hoping we would see it behind the next curve. Another 2 hours passed and sun was setting down... Kids were crying and begging for mercy - literally. And so were we. I'm pretty sure I was speaking in Polish to vent my frustration and pain that was piercing my calves and thighs. Even my hips and back hurt! I was willing to stay under the open sky, just sit in the middle of the path and risk being eaten by Troodos mountain wildlife :)

Mark was walking faster in hope to see our car and to shout back to us that he found it. That would be nice. But we're not an average hiking team. We had to keep walking... It was really odd that throughout the entire walk on this trail we have passed just one couple who was walking in another direction. We felt like in Twin Peaks or something. Mysterious trail where people disappear... Finally we heard some cars on the road, so we knew we were close. What a relief that was. As we walked toward the setting sun and got extra power to speed up with both kids on our shoulders.

You can imagine our shock when we got to the road and didn't see our car. No, it was not stolen.  It was parked 5 kilometers up the mountain on the way to Olympus... Yes... the vision of walking up the road with two hungry, extremely tired kiddies did not turn us into kind and sweet best friends. Hissing and growling could be heard as we kept crawling up. At some point I was hoping that at least one of the passing us cars would stop and give us a lift to our car. Not a chance! My legs rebelled against me and I just sat down on a big rock holding my two sleepy babies. Mark turned out to be a hero that saved the day, as he walked up the hill, alone, despite excruciating pain in his legs. He found our car and drove down to pick us all up. I've never been more relieved in my life. As tears of joy flowed down my face, kids immediately fell asleep and Mark turned to me, smiled and said "never again!" We could not move for 2 days. And we were in pretty good physical shape before this adventure  :) So what did we do the following weekend? Yup, you got it! We went hiking again but this time we took the right trail. And  that became our new family tradition...

Looking forward to see what tomorrow holds! :) Aaaah, this time Bonnie goes with us ;) more fun!

Have a fabulous weekend and make some memories with the people you love! God bless xx





No comments:

Post a Comment