Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Cats are autistic

A-chew! Allergy season in upon us... Love working from home when I move my office to veranda, under big umbrella... Sip of refreshing (always room temperature!) water and a quick bite of banana or apple - whatever is available.  Most of you are probably used to drinking freezing cold water, even with added ice to make sure it's extra cold! And you call me a weirdo? It's a pure logic that when temperature outside is getting hot, when you drink cold beverage it makes your body sweat more, making you feel discomfort of the heat even more, as you get dehydrated (through perspiration) and eventually more thirsty, 15-20 minutes after  you drink :) Mark is always making fun of me when I ask for a hot coffee or tea on a blazing hot Summer day. Or eat a nice light soup (boiling hot of course). He cannot fathom that... And yet when I drink hot drinks and eat my hot meals (both spice and temperature wise) I don't sweat much and my kidneys are smiling back to me with a happy "thank you".

Allergies are the plagues of 21st century, huh? Whoever I talk to, is allergic to some sort of food, pollen, dust, animals' fur etc etc... The list of things that cause allergies is long. And we can deal with them in many different ways. Sure, the stronger the allergy is, the more vast the treatment should be. My allergic reactions result in skin rash and gastrointestinal cleansing :) But when others react to allergies with difficulties in breathing (asthma like symptoms) then it's not so funny. Our boy has severe allergy to olive trees, dust and dust mites. Plus he's sensitive to gluten, severely allergic to casein (yellow cheese specifically) and possibly to animals' fur? We're still waiting to run these tests as they are not covered by insurance. But of course :) It would be really sad if results showed allergy to my 2 stinky cats or cute Bonnie. And if they did, what then? Ahhh, I will think about it tomorrow, as my favorite character (Scarlett O'Hara) used to say.

They are my personal assistants, as I do my work - Bonbon resting under the table with her snout on my feet, one cat heating my lower back and the other on the chair next to me. They have a lazy but happy life... Maybe not enough walks recently, as Bonnie wanted to have puppies and we had male dogs camp set right in front of our gate.  Some of them were really faithful and determined. Camping even in the rain and through the night, the others coming in hope that the magic gate will be open... She was impossible to walk through the village, as all her "fan club" was following us, which made me wanna carry a rifle and try some hunting :) She's now 20kg (almost Michael's weight) puppy and very  jumpy. But she cannot get the idea that fields are for "doing her business" and not the house! I took her for a long ride, several hours for sure. She drank a lot of water, as she was thirsty, so I knew she was dying to use the bathroom, or whatever dogs do :) She held it in. I took her for a long stroll around the village and she was pulling me towards the house. As soon as we got home, literally exhaled and stained my living room floor. Ahhhh!!! This dog,yet she's the sweetest dog I've ever met. She's very good with kids and she's so loyal and loving. And treats my crazy black cats as her brothers, and vice versa. They are part of our crazy family. Although she was not trained to be a therapy dog for Michael, she is a natural. But surprisingly, our boy bonded more with the cats. I guess it's because cats are autistic too :) Seriously. Try calling them by their name - non responsive. Try encouraging them to eat good food in a classy manner, from the bowl, resting etc. Hahaha - there's snatching chunks of meat and running to hide behind the corner to eat like a caveman, making growling funny noises as you come near. They avoid eye contact, yet they love being shown love and affection, but only by those that they choose and grant permission to :) they are super smart (like Garfield) and very demanding. They get bored easily, so you need to come up with new games that they'd find interesting. They rock! Both kids and cats on the Autism spectrum...

Stay tuned folks! Would love to hear some feedback from other autism parents and not only :)
Love and peace

No comments:

Post a Comment